Prices are accurate at the time of publication.
When you buy through our links, Insider may earn an affiliate commission. Learn more.
- You can celebrate Native American Heritage Month by shopping from Indigenous businesses.
- We found jewelry, clothing, home goods, and food businesses to support this month and year round.
- Read the book recommendations by Indigenous authors from Raven Reads owner, Nicole McLaren.
November is Native American Heritage Month, a time to recognize and celebrate the cultures and histories of Indigenous peoples across North America. While the month celebrates Native communities, it's also a time for raising awareness about the systemic issues Indigenous communities continue to face.
"I think COVID definitely disproportionately impacted vulnerable groups, and now is a perfect time to be kind of raising awareness of those inequities and look for creative ways to be learning more about the people that we share the land with, but also to be supporting them whether that's through their businesses or through their other ventures," said Nicole McLaren, the owner and founder of Raven Reads, a book subscription box that shares the voices and work of Indigenous authors while reinvesting money into other Indigenous-owned businesses.
November is a great time to buy from Indigenous businesses, but by supporting these retailers year round, "you're going to be providing not only revenue for that business, but you're building stronger communities," McLaren said.
We put together a list of Native-owned businesses to consider when you're shopping for gifts or yourself. From jewelry to wine, there are lots of businesses to support with your dollars, especially during holidays.
For ways to honor Native American Heritage Month through learning and education, check out our interview with McLaren, where she highlights books to read from Indigenous authors.
Here are 41 Native-owned businesses to shop from
- ACONAV: Clothing, bags, face masks
- Alaskanviolet: Handmade beaded and metal earrings
- Beyond Buckskin Boutique: Online boutique of Native-made jewelry, clothing, accessories
- B.Yellowtail: Clothing, jewelry, accessories
- Ginew: Denim, apparel, accessories, jewelry
- NagamokweCreations: Beaded jewelry
- Native Clay Co.: Clay earrings, gift baskets
- She Native: Apparel, leather bags, earrings
- ShiyooDesigns: Beaded jewelry
- Sovernly: Apparel, jewelry
- The NTVS: Apparel, accessories, art
- Trickster Company: Clothing, stationery, home goods, art
- Ally McKnight: Art prints
- Eighth Generation: Blankets, towels, accessories
- Heart Berry: Blankets, apparel, accessories
- Indian Pueblo Store: Online marketplace for Indigenous makers including bowls, coasters, art, jewelry
- Indigo Arrows: Pillows, blankets, tea towels
- Mahota Textiles: Blankets, pillows, bags
- Northwest Native Expressions: Baskets, art, blankets, crafts
- SageAndOats: candles, handmade gifts
- StephLittlebird: Art prints
- Sacred Circle Gifts and Art: Online marketplace for Indigenous makers including puzzles, serving trays, baskets
- Bedré: Chocolate
- Birch Bark Coffee: Whole bean and ground coffee
- Native American Coffee: Single cup, ground, whole bean coffee, loose-leaf tea
- Native American Tea Company: Boxes of tea bags
- Native Vines Winery: Wine
- Séka Hills: Honey, wine, olive oil, nuts, beef jerky, vinegar
- Spirit Mountain Roasting Co.: Whole bean coffee
- Sweetgrass Trading Co.: Online marketplace for Native American food and handmade products