- JPMorgan's Yelp page was temporarily disabled after Tesla fans bombarded it with one-star reviews.
- Elon Musk had said he'd give JPMorgan a one-star review if it didn't drop a lawsuit against Tesla.
- The bank sued Tesla over Musk's failed bid to take the company private in 2018.
Elon Musk fans aren't happy with JPMorgan right now, and they've taken to the company's Yelp page to prove it.
Egged on by the technoking himself, Tesla fans hit the US' largest bank's Yelp page with a slew of one-star reviews on Monday over the bank's $162 million lawsuit against the electric vehicle maker.
The bank says that Tesla breached a contract related to stock warrants it held after Musk tweeted in 2018 that he had "funding secured" to take Tesla private. The barrage of bad ratings was inspired by Musk's comments to The Wall Street Journal that day about the lawsuit.
"If JPM doesn't withdraw their lawsuit, I will give them a one star review on Yelp," the CEO told the Journal. "This is my final warning!"
By Tuesday morning, JPMorgan's Yelp page had dozens of negative reviews, including:
- "JP Morgan Sucks from a Tesla owner."
- "That's what you get for playing with Elon."
- "They got my order wrong. I wanted curly fries."
- "One star only for their frivolous lawsuits against their business partners, particularly against Tesla."
- "I'm here for Tesla obviously. Giving u one star for suing the company."
A few Tesla-related ratings slipped past Yelp's defenses into the recommended reviews. Later Tuesday, posting new reviews of the bank was disabled, Yelp said.
"This business recently received increased public attention, which often means people come to this page to post their views on the news," an alert on the page said. "While we don't take a stand one way or the other when it comes to this incident, we've temporarily disabled the posting of content to this page as we work to investigate the content you see here reflects actual consumer experiences rather than the recent events. Please note that we apply this same policy regardless of the business and regardless of the topic at issue."
Musk hasn't spoken publicly about the review bombing but responded to a tweet parodying a one-star Yelp review of JPMorgan that says, "Used to come here. Service has degraded. Place is just living off its name. Doesn't accept DOGE." The Twitter user captioned the image, "Elon's Yelp review of JPMorgan is lit."
Musk responded with the fire and laughing emojis.
—Elon Musk (@elonmusk) November 23, 2021
Yelp did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Tesla could not be reached for comment.
"We have provided Tesla multiple opportunities to fulfill its contractual obligations, so it is unfortunate that they have forced this issue into litigation," JPMorgan told the Wall Street Journal of its suit.