Summary List Placement
More than one year since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex announced their “step back” from royal duties, Buckingham Palace has announced the couple won’t return to their royal roles.
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family,” a Buckingham Palace spokesperson said in a statement obtained by Insider.
The statement continued: “Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service. The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.”
The statement added that “while all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry announced their step back from royal life on January 8, 2020, however it was previously unknown whether they would obtain their royal patronages and the duke’s military titles after the one-year review period that was set out by Buckingham Palace.
The couple said in a statement that they will continue to support their royal patronages “regardless of official role.”
A spokesperson for the couple told Insider: “As evidenced by their work over the past year, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role. We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
FOLLOW US: Insider is on Facebook