Insider

An 11-year-old boy died in a mobile home with no heat during the Texas winter storm, and authorities suspect he had hypothermia

Summary List PlacementAn 11-year-old boy died in an unheated mobile home that had lost power in Texas during a massive winter storm on Tuesday, and officials suspect he had hypothermia. Cristian Pavon was one of at least 30 people across Texas who died this week as temperatures plunged and millions...

Texas

Summary List Placement

An 11-year-old boy died in an unheated mobile home that had lost power in Texas during a massive winter storm on Tuesday, and officials suspect he had hypothermia.

Cristian Pavon was one of at least 30 people across Texas who died this week as temperatures plunged and millions of homes went without power for days, according to The Washington Post.

The boy’s mother, Maria Elisa Pineda, told Univision her family lost power over the weekend and temperatures in Conroe, Texas, where they live, dropped into single digits earlier this week.

She said Cristian had gone to sleep under a pile of blankets on Monday and didn’t respond when she and his stepfather tried to wake him up on Tuesday.

“He was OK,” Pineda told Univision of Cristian on the day before his death. “He had dinner, he played and he went to bed.”

Cristian’s aunt, Jaliza Yera, told KTRK the family called 911 when the boy didn’t respond on Tuesday. They performed CPR until health officials arrived.

Now officials are investigating whether he died of hypothermia.

Conroe Police Department Sgt. Jeff Smith told the Chronicle Cristian was a “normal, healthy child.”

Cristian’s family is now raising money to repatriate the boy’s body to Honduras, where they are from.

More than 4 million people in Texas lost power earlier this week during devastating storms. The storm also impacted neighboring states with similarly cold weather and rolling blackouts.

In total, at least 47 people across multiple states have died in the cold snap, The Post reported. Some are suspected to have died from exposure to the cold and in house fires, while others experienced carbon monoxide poisoning.

The identities of most victims remain unknown.

Join the conversation about this story »

NOW WATCH: 25 ways you can revamp your home

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: